COMMITTEE ON TRANSPORTATION
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES AMENDMENTS TO H.B. 2060
(Reference to printed bill)
Strike everything after the enacting clause and insert:
"Section 1. Title 28, chapter 3, article 16, Arizona Revised Statutes, is amended by adding section 28-950, to read:
A. A Person may not install or use a defeat device to override a safety feature of a vehicle that is equipped with level two, three, four or five driving automation as defined in the society of automotive engineering standard J3016 and that is designed to ensure that the driver is alert and attentive while the vehicle’s level 2, 3, 4 or 5 driving automation features are engaged.
B. This section does not apply to either:
1. An entity that is testing or operating one or more vehicles that are equipped with automated driving systems pursuant to executive orders or other programs authorizing the testing or operation of vehicles equipped with automated driving systems.
2. A motor vehicle manufacturer, service center, motor vehicle dealer or automated vehicle technology developer that is making motor vehicle manufacturer-approved modifications, whether physically or remotely.
C. For the purposes of this section:
1. "Automated driving system" means the hardware and software that are collectively capable of performing the entire dynamic driving task on a sustained basis, regardless of whether it is limited to a specific operational design.
2. "Manufacturer" has the same meaning prescribed in section 28-4301.
3. "Motor vehicle dealer" has the same meaning prescribed in section 28-4301.
4. "Society of automotive engineering standard J3016" means SAE J3016 in the "taxonomy and definitions for terms related to driving automation systems for on-road motor vehicles" as published by SAE international in September 2016."
5. “Install or use a defeat device” means doing any of the following:
(a) Modifying the vehicle's computer program beyond the options that are made available by the motor vehicle manufacturer or automated vehicle technology developer.
Amend title to conform